80sfashionworld.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Chokers, which have always been associated with high fashion, have been around since 2500 BC. Created by Sumerian artisans in present-day Mesopotamia, these 14- to 16-inch-long necklaces continue to be popular – up until today.
From being a ballerina costume staple – to a style craze popularized by the UK’s Queen Alexandra – chokers are fashion must-haves for any girl. Such is especially the case with black chokers, which is the focus of this article today.
A great thing about a black choker is that you can wear it with virtually anything. But to cut the long story short, here are the 16 best ways to style your black choker – all organized according to various aesthetics.
- Casual Black Choker Outfits
- Black Choker Outfits for Summer
- Smart (and Sexy) Black Choker Outfits
- ‘Themed’ Black Choker Outfits
- BONUS Choker Outfit Ideas
Casual Black Choker Outfits
#1. Plain Jane
Who said that plain is boring? A simple black choker outfit is just as chic.
Tip: I recommend all you need to wear are three basic pieces: a white button-down top, a good pair of jeans, and a pair of sexy pumps. You can add some flair into your simple outfit with a black choker, a unique pair of shades, and a lovely braided hairstyle.
#2. Casual and Chic
Your black choker outfits need not necessarily be over-the-top (though it could be!) With a chic and casual vibe you can be the toast of the town with a elaborately draped blouse. It’s a matter of choosing the ‘haute’ blouse in your closet.
Tip: Even if you only pair it with your jeans, your black choker can give your outfit the oomph it needs – even if it doesn’t necessarily need one.
#3. Casual and Formal
Fashion is all about channeling the best of both worlds and a simple black choker necklace will help you do exactly that!
My suggestion is you can pair your statement tee with a ruffled skirt. If you like to look more formal, you can also throw on a structured blazer as well.
Tip: For your accessories, you could pair your black choker with dainty earrings and some layered bracelets.
#4. 2-Necklace Look
Although a black choker is more than enough for your outfit, wearing it with another necklace is another stylish option. This look is really all about wearing a black choker with a longer necklace. Ideally a suede tie, which you can also wear as a choker.
This layering helps you achieve a unique look, even if your only donning a basic tee-and-pants outfit. This goes to show that with a black choker, you can glam up any simple get-up!
Black Choker Outfits for Summer
#5. Go Shorty
Summer is all about wearing skin-revealing pieces. It’s also a great time to flaunt your black choker, and actress Vanessa Hudgens is proof of this.
Here, the actress is stylishly walking her dog in a black tank top and army-inspired shorts. To add some flair to her outfit, she opted to wear a choker necklace – which is layered with a delicate gold choker.
Though summer fashion calls for sandals, you can wear this ‘hot’ outfit with a pair of ankle boots as well.
Model Stella Maxwell is the epitome of summer sexiness in her black choker outfit.
The Victoria’s Secret Angel is seen casually strolling the streets in her black bralette and a high-slit dress.
Her hot and ‘haute’ get-up, of course, is headlined by a unique black choker with a chained design.
Like Stella, you can wear sneakers with this outfit for utmost comfort. But if you’re thinking of making it more sophisticated, then you should wear this summer outfit with a pair of sexy sandals or glamorous pumps.
#7. Sheer Envy
Models do it best when it comes to sexy summer dressing. Case in point: Bella Hadid, who looks stunning in her sheer outfit.
The model pulls it off with a white bandeau and high-waist boy shorts, which she layers beneath her ultra-sheer frock.
While you don’t necessarily have to go ultra-sheer like Bella, you can use this style as inspiration for your summer outfit. For example, you can wear your signature undies with your sexy mesh dress.
#8. Lavish Layers
Summer is the perfect time to wear your slip dress. In the event that it’s still too cold outside, you can always layer it up for your black choker outfit.
I recommend you layer a white off-shoulder top with a black slip dress with white sneakers, to create a casually chic look.
Tip: All you need is a pair of oversized shades to complete the look!
Smart (and Sexy) Black Choker Outfits
#9. Sexy Siren
Looking to expose some skin this summer? Then you should try Shay Mitchell’s sexy siren look.
Although the actress used ‘conservative’ pieces – such as a white polo top and black leggings – she made sure to flaunt her chest. It’s done in a tasteful manner of course, as all she did was let her white bralette do a little peek-a-boo.
With her dainty black choker and designer clutch, Shay’s sexy look is something you ought to try RN.
#10. Foxy and Formal
Like Kendall Jenner, you can wear your black choker with formal clothes – and a sexy bralette.
This fusion of formal and sexy elements is made possible by key pieces, including a simple trench coat, loose-fitting pants, and a lacy bralette.
You can leave the trench coat all open like Kendall – or you can button some of them so that you only reveal your sexy top. That way, you may be able to take this look to the office without drawing ire from your boss.
#11. Crop Love
For this look, we refer yet again to Kendall – a lover of black chokers and all outfits smart and sexy.
You can create the sexy look with a cropped off-shoulder top. To balance things out, wear high-waisted trousers with an elongating (not like she needs it) striped design.
Despite its tummy-revealing nature, this outfit is something you can dress up for the office. Again, it’s just a matter of wearing a blazer or trench coat on top of this lovely outfit.
#12. Dress and Pants Combo
Whether you’re headed for a meeting – or a date in a posh hotel – you ought to try this dress and pants combo. As the name suggests, it’s all about wearing your frock (instead of the usual blouse) on top of your trousers.
You can create a sophisticated look with your elegant tubed dress and tailored pants. Of course, don’t forget to wear your black choker with this! Should you wish to accessorize some more, keep it simple with a beautiful bag and a sexy pair of heels.
‘Themed’ Black Choker Outfits
#13. Rocking Out
Although Miranda Kerr is not a rockstar (or a rockstar’s GF), she manages to achieve the said look with her black choker outfit.
I suggest wearing an inch-thick black cloth choker with an off-shoulder top, ripped jeans, and tie-up stiletto heels.
Though you can keep your look as simple as Miranda’s, you can also go all out with a smudged eye look and a crimson red lip.
#14. Grunge Love
You need not go all crazy to channel the grunge look. As Kaia Gerber shows, you can get by with pretty basic pieces.
To create this style all you need to is to wear a simple crop top with some grunge-style bottoms. In her case, donning a fitted tie-down skirt is the way to go.
Of course, a grunge look is not complete without a black choker. And like Kaia, you can layer it up with a variety of gold necklaces.
#15. Back to the 70s
The black choker is a period piece that’s associated with retro fashion. When worn with other statement pieces, this accessory can help you create a terrific themed outfit.
A great example is this outfit – headlined by a purple fur coat and a mesh-lined bodycon dress. I recommend you wear some tights especially if it’s cold outside.
Though this sexy outfit is best worn with pumps or sandals, you can always nix them in favor of your trusty sneakers.
#16. Go Retro
Want to go back to the 70s – or 80s? While this is not humanly possible, you can do so at least fashionably – with the help of a black choker, of course!
Going retro and getting that vibe is all about picking the right pieces. A tie-up top, mega-flared jeans, and a black choker are, of course, the most important ones. But if you want to make this outfit work-friendly as well, you can do what she did and wear a tailored blazer.
A black choker top is a simple yet stylish accessory every girl should have. You can wear it with casual, formal, and sexy outfits – making it a versatile investment you can use for years.
BONUS Choker Outfit Ideas
The embellished choker with grunge-inspired jeans and a tee
Celebrity inspiration: Drew Barrymore was the QUEEN of the choker necklace in the 1990s. Drew was iconic with her short blonde hair, ivory skin, matte brown lips, thin brows and edgy, bad-girl attitude.
We can steal a little of Drew’s style by copying her thick velvet choker with diamante embellishment and wearing with super-casual, androgynous outfits.
Or, we could go extra and take inspiration from her layered pearl choker, stunning in its deliberate gaudiness. The goal is to fuse Nirvana-worthy grunge outfits with Cleopatra-worthy chokers.
- Pair your favourite jeans with a loose-fitting white v-neck tee with a slouchy feel, and tuck one side into the jean’s waistband. Add a thick velvet choker to your neck, choose a matte nude lippie, and throw on some combat boots or Dr. Martens
- Pair ripped skinny jeans with a worn-in band tee or graphic tee for the ultimate rock-chic aesthetic. Shake it up and add a multi-layered choker of pearls to offset the grunge vibes with 80s-glam gaudiness
- If you want to take it a step further, add a pair of costume earrings with pearls, diamantes, or a thick hoop
Eclectic layering with different lengths and textures
Celebrity inspiration: Madonna was a champion of the “more is more” style in the 1980s, known to accessorize to the heavens with layers of necklaces, bracelets, gloves, and bows.
In more recent years, Rihanna and Selena Gomez have rocked the trend with a mix of chokers and long chains of various colors and textures. This is a great way to utilize the choker and create your own custom look. It’s curated but it’s not rigid.
- Play with different materials for a mismatched look. For example, a thick lace choker, a mid-length gold chain, and a long leather necklace with a pendant
- This look works great with a menswear-style shirt with the top few buttons undone. The choker frames the neck, while the chains fall casually out of sight into the shirt
- Get creative and experiment with your jewelry, finding new ways to combine what you have to explore new aesthetics. Throw together the most clashing pieces and see what you can come up with! Mix-and-match accessorizing is a great way to achieve a modern street-style look
- The method of accessorizing using chokers can complete a casual streetwear look, but also add a personal touch to office attire
The wide gold statement choker
Celebrity inspiration: The choker needn’t be grunge leather, 80s velvet, or prom-queen pearl. As ultimate cool girl Rihanna demonstrates (yet again!), a thick, gleaming, gold choker is the perfect way to pack a statement, bringing attention to the face and flattering an olive skin tone.
- If you’re looking for a cute way to complete a formal look with a cocktail or evening dress, shed all other jewelry and get yourself a thick, hammered-gold choker, especially if the dress is low-cut to expose the neck and decolletage. This will give an ancient Grecian-meets-Egyptian vibe while making a statement that you’re bold, brave, and not afraid to “go big” with your jewels
- If you’re wearing a high-neck top, try a wide gold choker worn over the neckline. This is elegant and modest with a twist of flair. Take it up a notch and add big gold hoops to the mix, but be sure to wear your hair up to balance out the “busy”
If you don’t have any choker necklaces hanging in your wardrobe, and you don’t have any extra cash hanging in your wallet…go DIY!
True happiness is making killer accessories using what you’ve already got, resulting in a one-of-a-kind piece only you can rock. Put down the screens, turn your bedroom into a boutique, and get creative.
Here are some easy and versatile ideas for DIY chokers:
- Raid your jewellery collection and look for old or “unloved” brooches, rings, or earrings you can re purpose. Sew or thread them onto a velvet ribbon for an ornate choker
- Leather shoelaces work perfectly for DIY chokers, especially if they’re long enough to loop around twice
- Head to the haberdashery store and nab some cheap velvet, satin, and lace ribbon and embellishments such as pearls, wooden beads, and diamantes. It’ll cost you a pittance, but offer multiple options