80sfashionworld.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It goes without saying that sweaters are a great winter and fall must-have. There are so many patterns, colours and fabrics available that it is very easy to create lots of different styles to enhance your wardrobe.
When styling your sweater, there is another piece in your wardrobe which will make your look immediately fabulous: skirts. Together, these two pieces will make your cold season more glamorous, and help you play with different styles and create new and exciting silhouettes.
If you cannot wait to mix and match your sweaters and skirts to express your creativity this fall and winter, here you will find plenty of inspiration to be the best fashionista even in the coldest weather!
Sweaters and skirts are two key pieces of clothing which should never be missing in any fashionista’s wardrobe. To help you create some cool outfits for next fall, we have answered some of the most commonly asked questions about style.
- What do you wear with a sweater skirt?
- What do you wear under a sweater dress?
- How do you style a jumper and skirt?
- What shoes look best with a sweater dress?
- Are sweater dresses in Style?
- How to Choose the Right Skirt Length
- What to Consider When Buying a Sweater
- Types of Sweaters for Women
- The Skater Girl Style
- Chiffon Skirts
- Sleeveless Sweaters
- Total Black is The Key
- Cosy and Chic
- Oversize, Over Personality
- Comfy but Chic
- Different Shapes for A Great Results
- Animalier Pattern is Timeless
- Bulky and Savage
- Curvy Girls, Don’t Hide Your Beauty!
- More Patterns, One Fabulous Outfit
- Turtleneck Sweaters
- Streetwear, But with Style
- Maxi Skirt, Maxi Fun
- The Secret for a Cosy Winter
- Puffed Sleeved Sweaters
What do you wear with a sweater skirt?
Sweater skirts, or knit skirts, are two great transitional fall pieces which are a must for any wardrobe. Style your sweater skirt with a chunky knitwear for a casual look. Otherwise, wear a more polished and tight-fitting top or blouse for the perfect chic outfit.
What do you wear under a sweater dress?
Sweater dresses are versatile pieces, which don’t need much to make your outfit stand out. For example, you can layer your sweater dress over a pair of leggings or, if temperatures are particularly cold, you can rock some skinny jeans. You can also wear the dress as a tunic and layer it over your naked legs.
How do you style a jumper and skirt?
When it comes to pairing a jumper and a skirt together, you can either keep it classic or go the extra mile. For example, you can wear an oversized jumper over a mini skirt, or tight-fitting knitwear over a midi or long skirt. Don’t forget to balance the whole look with some accessories.
What shoes look best with a sweater dress?
Wearing the proper shoes with your sweater dress is essential to elongate your silhouette. You should opt for over the knee boots and avoid shoes that cut at your ankle or flat shoes. However, for more formal occasions, you can rock some stilettos.
Are sweater dresses in Style?
Sweater dresses have been in fashion for several years, and they are most likely to stay. With the right accessories, such as a waist belt, these dresses can immediately suit all body shapes. Whether your usual style preferences, you can always rock a sweater dress without being too overdressed or underdressed.
How to Choose the Right Skirt Length
When choosing the length of your skirt, you should focus on the natural shape of your legs, as your aim should be to elongate it to enhance your silhouette. However, you should also wear a piece you feel comfortable with. You don’t have to wear anything too long or too short if you don’t like it.
This skirt length is usually the most common and most flattering for all body shapes. We have a few tips for you:
- If you are a petite girl, we recommend a hemline just above the knees, to elongate your legs.
- If you don’t like your knees, you can wear a pair of tights.
- Try matching your skirt with an oversized sweater for a cute and cosy outfit!
Time to show your legs off with a mini skirt! If you are a petite girl, we recommend avoiding a skirt hemline just across the widest part of your tights, as it would make your body look bigger.
Plus size girls shouldn’t be afraid of playing with this hem length, as long as they feel comfortable with it. You can create your own fashion’s rule and you must never be afraid of experimenting! Our fashion tips:
- Oversized sweaters are perfect to keep yourself warm and cosy, but make sure the top isn’t longer than the skirt.
- If the skirt is too short, pair it with a dark tight and a colourful sweater to make them look brighter and more dynamic.
- Petite girls should avoid mini skirts with over-the-knee boots, as this would make their body shape look shorter.
When in doubt, go for a midi skirt. This is undoubtedly one of the most versatile pieces that fashion has ever offered, and it can immediately save even the most boring outfit. However, you should always pay attention, as these pieces hit the widest part of your calf, meaning that they can shorten your legs. To prevent this issue, you can wear bright colours with lighter-toned shoes. Our tips:
- Avoid oversized sweaters. You want to elongate your figure with pieces which fit your body perfectly.
- Nude colours have the power to make your body look slimmer and taller.
- Avoid heavy weight tights, as they will make your legs look bulky.
Go bold, and go maxi! Even petite girls can benefit from maxi skirts, which are some of the classier and more elegant pieces of clothing. Our best tips:
- If the skirt covers your whole leg, you can try showing some skin somewhere else, like your neck.
- Avoid maxi skirts with over-the-knee boots, as this will jeopardise your silhouette.
- Sweaters in nude colours are perfect to match your maxi skirts and make your body look taller.
What to Consider When Buying a Sweater
Not all sweaters are made equal. These pieces are a must-have for all women’s winter and fall wardrobes, but you must choose carefully those who suit your style best.
Remember that the goal is to find a flattering piece to empower your silhouette and make you feel beautiful. For example, a luxurious cashmere sweater may be a bit costly, but it will last for many seasons and it will be the perfect addition to any workwear.
Let’s find out everything you need to know when buying a new sweater.
Sweaters are pretty versatile and they are available in a wide range of options. If you opt mostly for casual wear, you should buy a simple crew neck or a pullover. These pieces are hip length, so they can be worn with any type of skirt.
If you like to play with oversized pieces, you should try tunic pullovers, which are extra long and can be styled with mini and midi skirts.
Cardigan sweaters can have either buttons or zippers, and this simple detail can make a huge difference when creating your style.
If you are looking for a piece to wear also in fall, then jacket-style sweaters are the best option for your needs.
Patterns and Colours
From solid coloured cardigans to striped or twisted cable sweaters, there is a world full of patterns and colours to play with.
Don’t forget that there are also some pieces designed dedicated to the holidays, such as Christmas and Halloween.
If you are opting for a very bright or colourful sweater, then you should wear a nude coloured skirt, to make sure that the top gathers all the attention it deserves.
On the other hand, if you are wearing a solid colour sweater, then you should definitely play with some extravagantly patterned skirt. Don’t forget to match your tights and shoes, too, as you surely don’t want to make your outfit too chaotic.
There are many fabric options available on the market, based on your preferences and your budget. If you live in a very cold place, you should consider a wool or cashmere sweater.
These pieces are not cheap and often required professional cleaning, but they will keep you warm and cosy, and will immediately enhance any outfit.
On the other hand, synthetic fibres, which are man-made, are usually cheaper and can be found in many patterns and colours. These are easy to maintain and to style, but they may not last for many reasons and sometimes they may look cheesy and cheap if styled with other high-end pieces or accessories.
Sizing a sweater may be tricky, as there are many factors you need to consider. First of all, some sweaters are intended for oversized fitting, meaning that they will always be a bit bigger than your original body shape.
Luckily, sweaters and cardigans are available in different sizes, including plus sizes and options for petite or tall girls. If you wish to invest in a piece which can fit your body perfectly, the best thing to do is to take your body measurement.
Luxury pieces, such as cashmere sweaters, are made to fit your body and enhance your shape. Others, like tops made of polyester or acrylic, may lose their natural shape after a few months.
The best and only way to find the perfect sweater for your body and your preferences is to try different pieces until you find the one which will make you fall in love. Of course, you don’t necessarily need to follow all the latest trends. For example, if wearing oversized pieces makes you uncomfortable, you should avoid them.
Besides, when buying a sweater to pair it with your skirt, you should consider the length of your hem. The best thing about fashion is that you can mix and match different pieces, with various patterns and colours, to make your own unique style!
Types of Sweaters for Women
Before we talk about how to style a sweater with your favourite skirts, we should first introduce the many types of tops available. Since there are so many different styles you can choose from, it is essential to know all the details to create the perfect outfit.
V Neck Sweaters
This is one of the most flattering pieces you can add to your wardrobe. The V-neck naturally elongates your figure, so we recommend wearing these tops with a pencil skirt and a pair of heeled sandals.
The round neck sweater is a timeless classic which never fails to draw attention to your face. If you have a long neck, this is a particularly flattering piece. Pair it with a midi or maxi skirt and a pair of boots.
This is a great piece to keep yourself warm when the weather is freezing cold. You can wear this sweater with a mini skirt, or layer it under a dress.
Pear-shaped girls, this piece is perfect for you! It can be styled with any type of skirt, and it will help balance wider hips.
Cardigans are the best piece to embrace your preppy vibes. You can either opt for a tie-waist cardigan or for a longer option to pair it with a mini skirt.
The Skater Girl Style
Keep it simple with a black sweater over a checkered print mini skirt. To complete this streetwear-inspired look, add:
- A pair of lace-up ankle boots or combat boots.
- Some oversized rounded glasses.
Try mixing different fabrics for a dynamic look. For example, you can get a very lovely outfit with the following pieces:
- A long chiffon skirt, which will enhance your body shape
- A cropped sweater in nude shades
- A pair of Oxford shoes or ankle boots
- Or a dark colour oversize sweater, dark chiffon pleated skirt and boots with sunglasses of course. Oh and keep the make up nude and natural.
It can be a bit tricky to pair sleeveless sweaters unless you considered them as one of the main accessories to complete your outfit. For example, you can try:
- A cosy and colourful sleeveless sweater over a black or white skirt
- A mini or midi leather skirt
- A pair of loafers or lace-up boots
Total Black is The Key
Staying within one single colour palette is always a good idea to make your look elegant and bold. A navy or black slim-fit sweater will look great with a dark pencil skirt. Wear some flat pumps and you’ll have the perfect workwear outfit.
Cosy and Chic
Looking for a cosy and chic outfit? Pair an oversized knit with a ruffled skirt and a pair of high heels or ankle boots.
Oversize, Over Personality
Playing with oversized pieces of clothing is funny and can lead to several interesting outfits. Nevertheless, don’t forget to add some minimalistic accessories, like a small bag or a thin waist belt.
Comfy but Chic
You can still wear your favourite and most comfortable sweater when going out with your friends or partner. To make it the protagonist of a chic outfit, pair your sweater with a pencil skirt and some ankle strap heeled sandals.
Different Shapes for A Great Results
To make your silhouette more dynamic, you can play with different shapes. For example, try matching these pieces for a cool and modern outfit:
- An oversized sweater, with a high neck
- A pencil knee-length skirt
- A pair of black leather pointed-toe ankle boots
Animalier Pattern is Timeless
Many believe that animalier pieces cannot match with other contemporary clothes, but this isn’t true. Our ideas to rock this style:
- Find a midi skirt with your favourite animalier pattern.
- Match it with an extravagant sweater. You surely want to draw all the attention to your look!
- Wear a pair of black boots and keep your accessories minimal and chic.
Bulky and Savage
As we mentioned, animalier is always a great choice. However, if you want this pattern to be the real protagonist of your overall outfit, you can pair it with a cosy white sweater. Bulky tops are always the best, especially when paired with a mini skirt.
Curvy Girls, Don’t Hide Your Beauty!
Who says that oversized sweaters and pencil skirts are only for petite girls? Different body shapes can have fun with their silhouette! A few tips:
- Total black will make you look thinner but don’t underestimate nude shades.
- Wear shoes and accessories in different colours to highlight your look.
- Only wear pieces of clothing you feel completely comfortable with. Your fashion, your rules!
More Patterns, One Fabulous Outfit
Different patterns and fabrics can make a great outfit if you know how to mix and match them. For example, you can play with an animalier or tribal print mini skirt, with some colourful trainers and a nude-toned sweater.
You can play even more with different patterns by layering a sleeveless sweater with a t-shirt and a cute mini skirt. Don’t forget some matching socks!
Giant turtleneck sweaters are so comfortable and cosy that we would wear them every day. The best ways to pair them?
- A midi pencil skirt and some combat boots.
- A long, nude skirt, to enhance your body shape.
Streetwear, But with Style
How to embrace the perfect streetwear, but adding a touch of style?
- Wear a sweater and a skirt which have a similar or the same shade.
- Add a small bag
- Rock your pointed-toe boots!
Maxi Skirt, Maxi Fun
Usually, sweaters are bulky and chunky pieces which must be paired with minimal bottoms. However, you can definitely change the rules of fashion by rocking a maxi and flamboyant skirt with a plain white cardigan. A few tips:
- If you are wearing a turtleneck sweater, add a long necklace
- If you are a petite girl, avoid flat shoes
- All other accessories shouldn’t be big nor too much bright
The Secret for a Cosy Winter
if you want to pair your sweater with a mini skirt without wearing tights, there are still many ways to keep yourself warm and cosy even in the coldest winter. Long coats are the key! How to create your outfit:
- Choose a long coat in natural colours, such as grey, black or white. This will make it easier to pair it with any pieces of clothing
- Play with a colourful skirt, which will become the main piece of your outfit.
- Wear some cosy suede ankle boots.
Puffed Sleeved Sweaters
If you are looking for the perfect piece to make your look bolder than puffed sleeved sweaters are the best options. They are cool and will make your silhouette more dynamic. However:
- Pair your puffed sleeved sweater with a simple midi or long skirt. Avoid mini skirts to keep your body shape balanced.
- Prefer nude shades, especially if you are petite. Otherwise, the sleeves will make you look shorter.
Other Articles You May Want To Read: