80sfashionworld.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are leggings, and then there are stirrup leggings, those miraculous creations that hook under our feet oh-so fashionably. Yes, stirrup leggings were a staple of 1980’s workout fashion, but they’re back! And this time, they’re on the street and in the bar as well as at the barre.
Even Celebs like Victoria Beckham wearing them, I mean they are back in fashion in a big way!
Read on for our top four ideas for styling stirrup leggings!
Top-heavy loose layers and sneakers
Celebrity inspiration: The Olsen twins have always wowed with their baggy, slouchy, bohemian street style (and their impeccable, achingly-expensive fashion line The Row). Ever in need of fashion tips for “I just threw this together but I am somehow achingly chic”? Mary Kate and Ashley are your girls.
These stylish women are gifted at draping their bodies with layered, oversized tops in contrasting colors and textures. This is a genius way to approach stirrup leggings as it balances the body-con tightness of the legs with the free and easy abundance of the upper half of the outfit.
- Start with a long-line lace bralette and an oversized blouse with the top few buttons undone to peep the lace beneath
- Add a classic black blazer or leather jacket over the top, preferably in a loose fit
- Try a denim shirt worn open over a marble grey tank, with a charcoal long-line suit jacket over the top
- Wear with heeled boots, pumps, or even street-ready trainers
- If opting for heels or boots, wrap the stirrup under them to make the most of the feature
Wrapped heels and a sweater dress
Celebrity inspiration: Ariana Grande is like a walking example of how to style oversized sweaters with heels, (and one of the best pop vocalists of today, of course!).
While you may not be keen for knee-high stiletto boots a la Ariana, you can switch them out for our beloved stirrup leggings and a killer pair of heels.
- Pick a sweatshirt that is truly oversized and long enough to fall below your derriere, a little off-the-shoulder action is excellent too
- Elevate the look from uber-casual to street-glam by choosing a sweater with embellishments, or add a statement earring or necklace
- Choose a pair of closed-toe pumps or even high mary-janes or T-bar heels for a 1920s aesthetic
- Wrap the stirrup of the legging under the shoe so the stirrup is a visible focal point of the look
A bodysuit, wrap skirt, and flats
Celebrity inspiration: Carrie Bradshaw wore the quintessential ballerina-inspired outfit of the 1990s in the opening credits for ‘Sex and the City’. We’re taking her fluffy skirt and tank as inspiration and layering it with stirrup leggings and a cute pair of flat ballet-style shoes.
- Look for a tulle, ballet-style skirt with a little volume and a high waist
- Try a different color for your stirrup leggings (as a break from black!) such as pale pink, nude, or even a subtle print such as fine metallic vertical stripes
- Layer with a ballerina-style cropped wrap cardigan for cooler days
- Find a pair of ballet flats in a matching hue to create a monochrome look, or opt for a metallic, sparkly pair to play up the fun, feminine aesthetic
- If you can’t forgo your heels, or you want to break up the sweetness, try a pair of heeled ankle boots (they solve any fashion quandary)
The Best Mini-Skirt Outfits and How to Accessorise Them
How to Style High-Waisted Jeans…
Layered under cargo pants with a tank or tee
Celebrity inspiration: Kaia Gerber (the daughter of our favorite 90s bombshell Cindy Crawford) makes baggy cargo pants look chicer than a Chanel suit. She pairs them with a plain tank or tee and looks amazing beyond belief.
- Try camo-green cargo pants in an extra-baggy style and pair with a white fitted tank or tee to play with proportions
- Because only the bottom of the stirrup will be visible, try a bold pop of color such as a neon yellow or pink for eye-catching contrast
- For cooler months, add a blazer or cropped leather jacket, or choose a long-sleeved merino or cashmere fitted top
- Make it night-ready by adjusting your shoe choice and makeup look; a pair of pumps or heeled boots and a smokey eye
- This is an awesome way to make a gym outfit street-friendly during colder months or when you’re just not in the mood for wearing leggings as pants! Throw your cargos over the top before and after your workout…done
Let’s steal Kaia’s style and make it more interesting by layering with stirrup leggings underneath. Inspired? I think so. This is a fantastic way to try stirrup leggings trend in Winter, as it offers that extra layer of warmth and coverage, while still maintaining that unique peep of style at the ankle.
Leave a Reply