While flared jeans made a fashion comeback in the 1990s, they left a little to be desired, with super low-rise waistbands, floral embroidered and glitter embellishments. Never fear, they’re back again, and in the best way.
Flared jeans are extremely flattering with the right cut, length, and styling. They can span all occasions and seasons, from summer brunch to winter work. It’s safe to say…we love flared jeans and as far as we’re concerned? They’re here to stay.
We’ve created a guide to help you find your perfect flared jean style so you can rock this retro 70s and 80s look.
Flared, high-waisted, pale denim jeans and a cropped sweater
Celebrity inspiration: Australian stunner Margot Robbie was papped wearing high-waisted, wide-leg flares in pale denim. She paired them with a chic Chanel cropped black boatneck sweater with flared sleeves and gold buttons on the shoulder.
The effect was effortlessly cool, yet glamorous in a carefree, Parisian way. This simple outfit is ideal for casual Fridays, weekend brunching, leisurely shopping, or casual drinks.
- Ripped or distressed high-waisted flares in denim give the look a roughed-up street style aesthetic. Juxtapose this with a demure, cropped sweater in pale pink cashmere
- The cropped sweater ensures the pants are seen from waistband to hem, making the legs appear long and modelesque
- To amp-up the look to date-night levels, pair with high black platforms or pumps
Extra Tip: For more classic tastes, choose deep indigo jeans and sleek, black, heeled boots
Flared white jeans with a denim shirt
Celebrity inspiration: Jeans needn’t be blue or black, as Miranda Kerr effortlessly proved while running errands in a pair of white flared jeans with front pockets. She wore them with a blue denim shirt tucked in, oversized sunglasses, a black handbag, and high platform shoes. This easy combo is attainable yet packs major glamour for women on the go.
- Make sure you choose white jeans in a thick, opaque, high-quality denim that won’t give away your underwear
- Try a white jean that fits closely to the thigh, like a skinny jean, and flares from the knee
- Find a shirt in rich indigo denim or soft chambray and wear it tucked in all the way around, or on one side (French tuck)
- Try a tan leather belt to pull the look together, and match with tan heeled boots or platforms for 1970s attitude
- Make the look more work-friendly by layering with a classic black blazer and a sleek updo
- To soften the look with a more feminine flair, swap out the denim shirt for a silk or cotton blouse
The flared denim jumpsuit
Celebrity inspiration: In our world, the jumpsuit is the queen of all trends, a power-item that should be featured in every fashionable women’s wardrobe!
The flared jean jumpsuit is the best of the best, and Jlo shows us the way with a soft chambray jumpsuit, espadrille heels, large hoops, and oversized reflective sunglasses. This is a stunning fall and winter look, as it’s very accommodating to layering and packing on the warmth.
- Pick a full or ¾ sleeve flared jumpsuit and roll the sleeves up to the elbows for a gentle nod to masculine style
- For hot summers, try a halter-neck or thin strap jumpsuit with ultra-flared legs and a fitted waist for 70s-inspired glam. Throw a leather bomber jacket over the top as the sun goes down
- Softer, lighter denim works best for this look, especially for summer or spring, as rigid denim can be a little restrictive
- Copy Jlo’s sassy styling and accessorize the look with oversized sunglasses and oversized gold earrings for chic shopping and meeting friends for lunch
Graphic tee and leather jacket
Celebrity inspiration: When you’re at a loss for ways to style any pair of jeans, whether they’re flared or skinny, a graphic tee and leather jacket always win. Vanessa Hudgens walked her dog wearing indigo flared jeans and a graphic tee.
The look was simple, youthful, and flattering. We’re going to take it up a notch by adding leather…because denim and leather always make the perfect duo. Flared denim and leather outfits are ideal for concerts, house parties, shopping, and going dancing (with the right accessories).
- High-waisted flared jeans are best for this look, as they elongate the legs, create a cute, rounded derriere, and accentuate the waist when the tee is tucked in
- Pick a graphic tee that is slightly fitted so it can tuck easily into the waistband of your jeans
- Cropped leather jackets work best here, as higher jacket hems further show off the elongated legs and balance out the ampleness of the flare
- Pair with heeled, studded ankle boots in soft black or brown leather
- To make it more “bar friendly”, layer sparkly necklaces over your tee, and swap the boots for stilettos