Spandex leggings are one of the best trends to come out of the 1980s. And below, we share three ways to wear them that are just as fashion forward in 1985 as they are in 2019.
Check out the top 3 ways to style spandex leggings.
1. Denim Jackets
A denim jacket is a staple in any woman’s closet. It is the ideal piece of outerwear for warm fall days or cool summer evenings, and lucky for you, they look incredible with spandex leggings.
Tina Turner was known for rocking denim jackets with everything from black leather mini skirts to spandex leggings, so she is definitely providing some style inspiration for this outfit recommendation.
- When it comes to denim jackets, the first thing to consider is the colour. There are light, medium, and dark denim washes, not to mention white, black, and grey-hued denim.
- If you’re pairing the jacket with black spandex leggings like these ones from Amazon, then really any colour will do. However, if you plan on wearing a lighter coloured legging, such as white or grey, then opt for a lighter coloured jacket. The same goes for darker leggings and darker hued looks.
- It’s important to find the right length of denim jacket. For a sexy iteration of the style, look for a cropped denim jacket that is more form fitting and hits you just above the waistline.
- Alternatively, for a casual grungy look, combine your spandex leggings with an oversized, boyfriend-style denim jacket that is loose fitting and hits you at your hips or even below.
For a major dose of the 80s, consider an acid wash denim jacket (these are coming back in style in 2019).
Like a boyfriend jacket, they create a casual aesthetic, but one that is also fashion forward.
Channel your inner Gigi Hadid or Kendall Jenner and use spandex leggings to become the queen of athleisure. Spandex leggings of any colour will provide the perfect on-the-go look when paired with a cropped sweater. Look for sweaters that hit you at your waistline, just below your belly button.
- For a “just from the gym” outfit, look for cropped hoodies or crew neck sweaters made out of cotton. Perhaps consider one with a popular athletics brand on the front, such as Adidas or Nike.
- To dress this spandex leggings and cropped sweater look up, you may want to consider a knit sweater. A chunky knit sweater is perfect for the fall and winter seasons and provides a chic yet casual aesthetic, especially when you add heeled booties (#3) to your ensemble.
- Finally, if you want to go full 80s, then we recommend looking for a neon cropped sweater a la Olivia Newton-John. Think neon pink, green, yellow or aqua blue!
3. Heeled Booties
Versatility is one of the things we love most about spandex leggings. While some prefer to wear them with sneakers and a cropped sweatshirt (#2), these bottoms look just as stylish when dressed up. One of our favourite ways to dress them up is by rocking a heeled bootie.
- First, you’ll want to consider the height of the boot’s heel. First and foremost, you should look for a heel height that is comfortable to walk in, which will vary based on the person.
You’ll also want to think about the shape of the heel. For example, you could choose a bootie with a wedge heel, a chunky heel.
This depends on when and where you intend to wear the outfit. Wedge and chunky heels are easier to walk in and are better for everyday use, while stilettos are dressier and are better suited to a night out on the town or an evening event.